Hours are 9am to 2pm Monday through Friday.
Compensation is $14,300
Position to be filled in late January 2018
Please submit resumes to:
Elm Grove UMC
Attention Pastor JJ Roller
125 Kruger Street
Wheeling, WV 26003
Elm Grove United Methodist Church
Title: Secretary Date ______________
Reports to: Pastor/ Staff Pastor Parish Relations (SPRC) Team
SUMMARY OF POSITION
The position of secretary provides comprehensive secretarial service of a confidential and responsible nature and clerical duties as assigned by the Pastor. First review will occur after 90 days and upon successful completion of 6 months, the probation period will expire.
The position is classified as salaried requiring 25 hours per week working set hours of 9 am to 2pm Monday through Friday.
NATURE AND SCOPE OF POSITION
- Compile, arrange, and produce bulletins and correspondence on an as needed basis.
- Act as receptionist for the church and Pastor, answer incoming phone calls, faxes and email.
- Process all membership information including but not limited to, attendance listings, address changes, membership, birthdays, and anniversaries along with the recording of Gift and Discovery data.
- Maintain Memorial Book and correspondence associated with the memorials.
- Maintain the church calendar and prepare correspondence for the church and Pastor as needed.
- Process and maintain visitor information.
- Keep records of hospital lists, shut-ins, etc. and keep the Pastor informed regarding these lists.
- Order supplies, flowers, etc., on an as needed basis with the approval of the Stewardship chairperson or their delegate.
- Notify committees and the congregation as needed via the automated calling system, Phone Tree.
- Assist the Pastor with the production of Charge Conference and end of year Conference reports
- Primary responsibility for the operation, supervision, and maintenance of all office equipment with assistance of the Trustees.
- Maintain the key cabinet and the list of the outstanding keys and who has been assigned a key.
- Receive monies, gifts, and memorials and then forward them to the Treasurer / Financial Secretary.
- Perform any / all duties which may from time to time be assigned by the Pastor and or the Staff Pastor Parish Relations Team.
PAID TIME OFF (PTO) (No carry over)
Two  weeks upon completion of one  year of service
Three  weeks upon completion of five  years of service
In addition the following holidays are also observed:
New Year’s Day, Martin Luther King Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Veterans Day, Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day.
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Experience with Microsoft Office Suite, database applications, email, internet browsers, basic networking and general office equipment
- Must possess a positive attitude and appearance, and have a pleasant telephone manner.
- Confidentiality, integrity and dependability are a must
- Excellent communication skills/writing, grammar and accuracy skills
- Lectionary calendar knowledge or willingness to learn
- Time management, ability to prioritize and anticipate the next step along with flexibility
- Willingness to take direction
- Work effectively with both Professional staff and volunteers
I have received the position description and I understand and agree to the requirements as set forth therein.
I further understand and agree that the position description is not an exhaustive list of duties that may be required for the position.
Signature of Secretary Date
Pastor’s Signature or SPRC Date